Tuesday, February 11, 2014

how to pay nanny taxes in north carolina

Demystifying Nanny taxes in the State of North Carolina

Getting Started

Per Paycheck Tasks

  • Withhold Federal Income Tax, Medicare, Social Security, State Income Tax from your nanny's pay.

Quarterly Tasks


These tasks need to be done on or before:
  • April 30th (for the first quarter)
  • July 31st (for the second quarter)
  • October 31st (for the third quarter)
  • January 31st (for the fourth quarter of the previous year)

Yearly Tasks

  • Submit and generate W2 before January 31st (for the previous tax year)
  • File Schedule H before April 15th with your taxes (for the previous tax year)***
  • If you have a dependent day care FSA you can file for a reimbursement before a certain date (Date varies depending on who manages your dependent day care FSA. My deadline is March 31st) (for the previous tax year)
I am not a lawyer or a CPA, but I did sleep at a holiday inn last night. 

Jokes aside, I am not responsible for any of this content. I am just putting it up here in the hope that it might help someone out there. Use this as a guide and not as the word of law. Your situation might be completely different than mine.

*** If you only have household employees you don't need to do the 940/941 forms. You only need to do a Schedule H (Form 1040). (I think)

References:
I used the help of two well written blogs. Some of the authors of these blogs responded to my questions. It would have been much harder for me to do this without their existing documentation and support:
  • http://pixeltheoryinc.com/nanny-tax-how-to.html
  • http://iamemilyanne.com/2013/06/05/hiring-a-nanny-what-you-may-need-to-know-for-north-carolina/

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, what a headache -- I think in Yearly Tasks, the first bullet should be W2, right?

    Also, from what I understand, Federal Income Tax only needs to be withheld if your household employee asks you to withhold it and you agree. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete